Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Pennies are worth less

Am I the only one that has trouble getting rid of pennies? I literally have a jar full of pennies and I can't seem to get rid of them ever. I have offered co-wokers an exchange rate of 11 pennies for a dime, but much rather just give me a dime and not bother with the pennies.

If you think about it, you can get rid of at most 4 cents per purchase if your lucky. And even if you did have an opportunity to spend more than 4, if you tried, you will get a dirty look. I am serious, I tried passing 7 cents on to this pizza guy and he was disgusted and asked me if I didn't have a nickel. As much as I wanted to say "Well moron, if I had a nickle, I would use it" I said, "sorry thats all I have", but really I did have a nickel and I was just trying to unload these worthless pennies on him. Sadly there was a line forming behind me, but darnit I wanted to get rid of the pennies. All this would be a mute point if the vending machine took them. Then you could sit there with out wasting anyones time and just feed them in to a machine for a tasty delight, kind of like a reward for recycling pennies, but unfortunatly they do that. I don't know why, but what the hell?

Also the problem with change in general is, If your anything like me, you don't carry it. Not that I don't want to, but its kind of heavy and weights your pants down, and more than that I just find it rather annoying; foremost in NYC. Why? Because if you do happen to have any change at all, the homeless will ask you for it. You could be like a block away and homeless person could be passed out drunk on the street, but soon as he / she hears the delightful jingle of coins, they jump up and are all over you like horny dog lusting over a thigh. At which point you really have no choice other than to give them a nickel. It's like they have an extra sense that tells them who has change and who doesn't. Then the real bad thing is you can't use the excuse that you dont' have any since it is an obvious lie. Not that I am againest giving money to homeless people, just find it rather pointless because its all tax free to them and its after tax $'s for me. Anyway that is just a tangent, back to my main point.

So if you can't use these pennies in vending machines, and you can't spend more than 4 cents at a time, you are basically screwed. Maybe I can solve two problems at once and just give the pennies to the homeless people, but the real question is what are they going to do with them?

What do you do with your pennies?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, isn't it illegal for a vendor to not accept legal tender of the realm? I thought that was the point of it being legal tender!

We should sue the soft drink companies for every dime they have.

They can keep the pennies.

Anonymous said...

I chuck my pennies at homeless people. Here ya go sucker, enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I collect them and bring them to the bank! A whole $2 dollars. =)

Anonymous said...

why do you keep writing about pennies? youre as bad as my sister who doesnt even update! i look forward to seeing you in a bout week and being a pain in your behind begging you to come out and play with me!

Anonymous said...

I use them as I get them and rarely have too many. I'm defnitely one of those annoying people that always has to have exact change. Take them to a Coinstar, convert them to money, and put them in your wallet for a no-jingle effect.